Thursday, June 12, 2014

Blueberry Pruning

I pruned my blueberries this year in the spring of 2014 for the first time.  The changes were noted immediately in my production for this year. 
I attended a workshop put on by Dr. Bill Cline with NC State University at Janet Peterson's blueberry farm, Cloud 9 in Fairview NC.  Right after the workshop, while under the freshness of how to properly prune, I got out my shears and started to work on my crop.
The results are evident.  My blueberries were bigger and the plants not affected by disease were definitely better looking.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for the root fungus that is attacking some of my plants.  So I pruned those plants by pulling them out of the ground and closing off the area where they grew.
Lots of space for sunlight

Large size berries need fresh stems to produce on

No comments:

Post a Comment