Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sept. 2, 2009

Hey, all of this blogging is new to me so don't get lost, I think.
I bought Crimson Clover seed yesterday at Southern States. The seeds need to be inoculated with a bacteria to make the plant fix nitrogen from the air. I didn't know that, but thanks to our extension agent, Amanda Stone, I found out that fact. That process use to mean that you had to buy the inoculant and seed separate, but now the seeds come pre-coated and all you have to do is plant them.

It is my plan to plant the clover between my rows and carefully monitor the progress of the plants and not allow them to go to seed. The last thing I want is to have to "weed" them out. I also am worried that if they get to thick, that they could in fact shade out the new vine growth in the spring.

The weather is co-operating today in that it is cool and dry allowing me to till up the inter-rows without loss of a lot of body fluids, ie.--sweat. I've lost enough of that this year already!

No comments:

Post a Comment